Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hybrid Fruit







Without doubt this is one of the strangest fruit I have encountered! All over Brussels there are markets at different locations on days of the week. This morning I stumbled upon a larger market. There were hundreds tents with produce, cheese, olive, meat, clothes, etc.

Many of the tents have samplings. Well, I came across a greenish fruit with juices dripping off it. I bit in and was sold! The fruit has the appearance of a watermelon, but the taste of a canteloupe! It cost 3 euro which I thought was quite fair. Here is a picture of it :)

It rained almost the entire day on Sunday! Sunday marks the date that I have been in Brussels for 2 months. In that time I have done absolutely no baking. When the weather was as poor as it was today, I thought of nothing better to do!

I had every intention of making chocolate chip cookies. My kitchen is still quite limited in dishware and took some pictures to show you my "bowl!" Also, rounding up the ingredients was a bit tricky. At the store I needed to grab a few items to finish off my preparation.

I bought a box labeled "Vanilla." Instead of a syrup, there were 10 mini-packets of vanilla flavored sugar. They do not sell chocolate chips in grocery stores. Working without the chips may not be a bad thing as the chocolate is sooooo divine here!!! I will save the chocolate topic for another day! Hot out of my oven (which I just learned to turn on this afternoon) and what started out as chocolate chip cookies became sugar cookies with chocolate flakes!

No comments: