Carisa officially helped kick-start my holiday spirit this year with our visit to Paris. It happened to be opening weekend of the lights being lit up all over the city.
Last weekend also was festitve with winter wonder, I treated myself to a weekend in Cologne (Koln), Germany. It has a reputation for having a famous Christmas Market. I packed my backpack last Saturday morning and headed to the train station. I was able to secure a VERY reasonably priced train ticket and hopped on the next train. The ride was 3 hours long. I tend to really enjoy rides like that where there are no immediate worries and it was much needed downtime.
As soon as I departed the train, I walked a few blocks and found a strip of accommodations. I ended up finding a room for the night and put my bag down so I could explore what these markets were all about!!
My first impression was a gigantic carnival outside with thousands of people wearing soooooooooo many different holiday hats, I can't even begin to tell you!!! One of the more popular versions had to be a fuzzy reindeer concoction. There was scents of food in the air that made you want to stop and soak up the smell at each stand. From pretzels, cookies, potato, apple sauce, pizza, and brat/curry stands. It really seemed like the food choices were typical German food (Or, how I perceive them to be!)
While everyone was walking around, socializing, viewing craft tents, it seemed like 1/2 of the people had a coffee mug in their hand. Only coffee was not the beverage inside! Everyone was drinking warm wine, like hot tea or hot apple cider, to maintain in the cold! I took part in the tradition (When in Rome..... ;) My first warm beverage purchase came the 2008 collectors mug.
There were five to six markets spread out over the city. I think I went to everyone market except one. I would most definately recommend this to those who do not mind the cold or crowds! It was a very enjoyable shopping weekend!
The pictures still need to be uploaded for that. I will post some pics when it happens!
Last weekend also was festitve with winter wonder, I treated myself to a weekend in Cologne (Koln), Germany. It has a reputation for having a famous Christmas Market. I packed my backpack last Saturday morning and headed to the train station. I was able to secure a VERY reasonably priced train ticket and hopped on the next train. The ride was 3 hours long. I tend to really enjoy rides like that where there are no immediate worries and it was much needed downtime.
As soon as I departed the train, I walked a few blocks and found a strip of accommodations. I ended up finding a room for the night and put my bag down so I could explore what these markets were all about!!
My first impression was a gigantic carnival outside with thousands of people wearing soooooooooo many different holiday hats, I can't even begin to tell you!!! One of the more popular versions had to be a fuzzy reindeer concoction. There was scents of food in the air that made you want to stop and soak up the smell at each stand. From pretzels, cookies, potato, apple sauce, pizza, and brat/curry stands. It really seemed like the food choices were typical German food (Or, how I perceive them to be!)
While everyone was walking around, socializing, viewing craft tents, it seemed like 1/2 of the people had a coffee mug in their hand. Only coffee was not the beverage inside! Everyone was drinking warm wine, like hot tea or hot apple cider, to maintain in the cold! I took part in the tradition (When in Rome..... ;) My first warm beverage purchase came the 2008 collectors mug.
There were five to six markets spread out over the city. I think I went to everyone market except one. I would most definately recommend this to those who do not mind the cold or crowds! It was a very enjoyable shopping weekend!
The pictures still need to be uploaded for that. I will post some pics when it happens!
1 comment:
Hi Tara! Found your blog via your facebook page. I keep a blog about my Alaska trip too: www.nyncak.blogspot.com
I won't be in Binghamton for the holidays this year, will you? I will be back next year - only staying a year in AK!!
Sounds like you are having a great time in Belgium! That's awesome
-Karen
Post a Comment