Friday, August 15, 2008

Planet: Where am I!


Have you ever been plopped down in a new location and with not a clue what to do? This scenario would be descriptive of my first few days. Check out the crazy garden designs! If this is not a humbling experience, I don't know what is....

I managed to find some English speaking companions across the street at cell phone carrier. They were very helpful in locating my school for me. It turned out I had to be there at 9:00 am the next morning for day 1 of orientation.

That night was very restless as I was nervous of not waking up on time and missing the first few hours! The morning did come and I quickly learned something very important. In Belgium at all times you need the following items:

1.) Sunglassses
2.) Umbrella
3.) Rain Jacket

Oh, is it so true! The weather is quite fickle with temperatures conditions changing constantly.

Orientation began with a bang. There were almost 30 people in the room and close to 20 new hires. Wow, it was a great feeling meeting people who were celebrating just making it to the school grounds via the train! We quickly realized that many of us are living or looking for apartment in two places called St. Gilles or Ixelles. It seemed to the "hot spot" for living providing a night life and walking distance to the city centre.

While many people were making there way to IKEA, (large furniture store), I have been fortunate to secure a furnished apartment. The apartment is incredible with more space than I know what to do with and ceiling high doors that open to a tiny terrace.

No comments: